Monday, March 19, 2007

March Break -- and the end thereof!

Another March Break has come and gone at my house. My daughter enjoyed a nice, quiet week. She had a movie party one day, hung out at the shop a couple of days, and generally slept, read and worked. All in all, a nice week she declared. Albeit too short, which is a common complaint from everyone. Except most parents.

The truly startling realization which arose from March Break is that her trip to Vimy Ridge with her school will occur in two and a half weeks. Yes, indeed. Two and a half weeks. A mere 17 days! Now THAT'S exciting!

As a result of her quiet March Break, my week was likewise quiet and relaxing. So relaxing, in fact, that I finished another babyset for the Durham Crisis Pregnancy Centre. Once again, the set comes from directions contained in a McCalls Baby Knits publication from the 1970s. This little set qualifies as my March socks of the month, as well as the Lenten knitting challenge at the Knit & Chat board.

Since I had finished a home project, it was time to start something new. Always a delight to be able to rummage through stash and ponder the possibilities. While I would dearly love to make the Entrelac socks in the newest Interweave Knits, I don't have the yarn in hand. I'm trying to be good and use up stash. (I'm not sure why, it just seems right so to do. Possibly this has something to do with the upcoming Knitter's Frolic on April 27.)

So I decided to try my hand at fair isle again. Now that I know how to do it better, it should be far more enjoyable.
This luscious blue yarn is Zara, acquired at last year's Frolic. I had purchased some coordinating colours of Zara from my friend's shop before she closed, in multiple colours. But the design that called to me most clearly was this one, titled "Weekender," design 11 from the Paton's book shown. It features two colours only--the main colour and the contrasting. I'm about half-way up the body already, and I'm switching between Continental style and English style.

I'm also working on setting up a web-ring for Ontario knitters, called interestingly enough, Knitting in Ontario. It's a little more complicated than I thought. I've managed to create the ring. But not to set up the home page, nor a sign-up mechanism. Patience is a virtue, and I do have a couple of children who can do good things with computers. If push comes to shove, I'll enlist some assistance.

No comments: