Monday, January 16, 2006

Evil -- they name is ...

I discovered over the Christmas holidays that my elder brother is going to be a grandfather this spring. Well, technically he is going to be a step-grandfather since it is his step-son and wife that will be the parents. But in my world, a step- anything is as good as real. So in honour of the wonderful event, I decided to make a little baby set for the new baby.

I pulled out my Fall 1978 issue of McCall's Needlework & Crafts, my needles and my stash of baby yarn, and cast on. Now, I admit that this is a very old book, and many folks would've insisted that it be cast aside as part of a general de-stashing exercise at some point in time. I, however, have held on tightly to it. Why? Well, I think this little baby set is one of the finest ever designed. What do you think?



Also, I've made four or five of them, I figured the pattern would be easy to reburn into my brain.

Nope. I can't tell you how many times I've ripped and reknit, ripped and reknit. And having viewed Stephanie's efforts at laddering, I even thought of doing that. But in LACE knitting? Not a chance. So I ripped and reknit yet again.

Today I am proud to say that I am finished with the body and am casting on for the cute little sleeves. Almost there.

Speaking of Stephanie -- have you SEEN what she posted about today?! I can't believe my eyes. She threw down the knitting needles -- er -- gauntlet and created a new Olympic sport -- KNITTING!

I don't know about any one else, but there is not one single competitive bone in my body. Nope. Not a one.

They're ALL competitive. And every bone in my body is saying "YES! I CAN DO THIS!!"

I am committed to learning entrelac and making myself a sweater with this technique. I remember seeing a sweet little top ... now to remember where I saw it. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Oh my gosh. What have I done?!

Oh yes -- my young son in Mexico has started a blog of his own to relate his adventures. It is located here: http://taoso.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole,
In regards to your question on where you can find the Jaywalker pattern (comment from Knotinmythread)it's in the September issue of the online Magknits.

Cute baby outfit, sounds like you'll be finished in no time!

Jacqui said...

That baby outfit is adorable. Although how you were able to put aside all that great sock yarn from a previous post to cast this on is a fete in itself! lol

minijaxter said...

made my way over from stephanies blog.
entrelac is really not that hard.
:)
but again you can swatch for practice:)
once you get it - you get it.
good luck i have not decided what i want to do yet