Monday, February 07, 2005

Book Reviews

Doug visited the Pickering Library, to which he had never been. As a favour to me, he emptied the shelves of knitting books. Here are the ones I liked, and why:

Big Book of Knitting, by Katharina Buss -- this is a great book, covering many aspects of knitting. It details several methods of casting on, forming the stitches, finishing techniques, different types of sleeves, neckline treatments. It also teaches reading graphs. Would I buy this book? Yes. Would I pay $45 (CDN) for it? Hmmm. Yes, I probably would. I think it would be a great addition to a knitting library. Do I want it for Christmas? Yup.

Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton -- Now, I have only browsed this book, and not as thoroughly as the above. But I can see it being a necessity for someone who is going to start designing sweaters or other knits. This book is labeled as being a $25 (USD) and I would have to say it would be a bargain at that price. Again, would I spend the money? Yes. Do I want it for Christmas? Yes.

Am I going to add these to my "I want" list? Absolutely.


No comments: